The best part about these healthy yet tasty Blueberry, lemon and coconut cupcakes, which are high in dietary fibre and made without refined carbohydrates, is the Maple cream cheese icing. The icing is made with coconut butter, low fat cream cheese and maple extract and is sweetened with erythritol.
You can easily (and cheaply) make coconut butter by adding a few cups of desiccated or shredded coconut to your food processor and processing until a smooth, creamy butter forms. The texture of this icing is just like a butter icing, however, it contains no added sugar or butter. The coconut provides dietary fibre and contains medium-chain fatty acids. As I have mentioned previously on this blog, the scientific literature shows that medium-chain fatty acids are metabolized more rapidly than long-chain fatty acids, meaning the fat in coconut may have less of an impact on weight gain compared to other fat sources. So enjoy 1 (or 2) of these cupcakes as a low carb treat.
Makes 6 cupcakes
2 cups shredded or desiccated coconut, processed into coconut butter (makes about ½ cup)
1 cup coconut flour, sifted
½ cup shredded coconut
2 tablespoons erythritol
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Juice from 1 lemon
Zest from ½ a lemon
1 cup coconut milk
¼ cup of the coconut butter
200 grams low fat cream cheese
1 – 2 tablespoons erythritol (depending on how sweet you like your icing – I went with 1 ½ tablespoons)
1 teaspoon maple extract
Measuring cups and spoons
Small grater (for lemon zest)
6 pan muffin tray (I used a silicone non-stick muffin tray)
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C.
- Add the shredded coconut to a food processor and process until it turns into coconut butter, scraping the sides of the food processor as necessary (5 – 10 minutes).
- Add the sifted coconut flour, shredded coconut, erythritol and frozen blueberries to a mixing bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs and coconut milk. Mix well. Add in ¼ cup of the coconut butter and mix this through well.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin tray. Bake in the oven at 150°C for 40 minutes.
- To make the icing, add the cream cheese to the remaining coconut butter in the food processor (no need to wash up). Add in the erythritol and maple extract.
- Process until the icing is smooth.
- Smother the cupcakes with the icing once they have cooled completely.