How could a dessert with such a decadent name be even remotely healthy?? Simple. This ‘ice cream’ is made with frozen low fat cream cheese, frozen coconut milk, fresh frozen orange, cocoa powder, stevia and vanilla extract. It is lower in calories compared to any traditional ice cream and is made with no refined carbohydrates.
And I topped it with chunks of delicious Coconut butter chocolate and walnut fudge. This fudge is an ideal treat for those following low carbohydrate, high fat diets as it is made with desiccated coconut processed into coconut butter and sweetened only with stevia.
You must plan a little bit ahead with this dessert as the ingredients require time to freeze, but it is absolutely worth it to enjoy this tasty and healthy treat.
Chocolate orange cheesecake ‘ice cream’ with Coconut butter chocolate and walnut fudge
Makes 2 serves of ‘ice cream’ and at least 4 serves of fudge
Chocolate orange cheesecake ‘ice cream’
200 grams low fat cream cheese, frozen
1 ice cube tray filled with coconut milk, frozen
1 orange peeled and cut into quarters, frozen
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon stevia
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup coconut milk
Coconut butter chocolate and walnut fudge
2 cups desiccated coconut
½ cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 ½ tablespoons stevia
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup walnuts
Ice cube tray
Measuring cups and spoons
High-speed blender (I use an Omniblend)
Rectangle plastic container
- Place the frozen cream cheese, frozen coconut milk cubes and frozen orange into a high-speed blender.
- Add in the cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla extract and coconut milk. Blend until the ‘ice cream’ is a smooth, even consistency. This takes around 5 minutes and will require the use of a stirring stick during the blending.
- Divide the ‘ice cream’ into two bowls and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up before serving.
- For the coconut butter fudge add the desiccated coconut to a food processor and process until a smooth, creamy butter is formed. This takes between 5 – 10 minutes. Scrape the sides of the food processor as required.
- Once the coconut butter has formed add in the coconut milk, cocoa powder, stevia and vanilla extract and continue processing until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the walnuts and process briefly to roughly chop the walnuts. Pour the fudge mixture into a rectangle plastic container lined with baking paper. Place the fudge into the freezer until it is completely firm (at least 2 hours).
- Chop the fudge and add some chunks into the ‘ice cream’. Enjoy this delicious yet healthy dessert.