This delicious, refined carbohydrate free cake was my dessert after my first off road triathlon on Saturday. I was up at 3:30am so that I could eat breakfast, drink coffee and pack my car before driving for an hour and a half to be at transition when it opened at 6:30am. This race was the first of the TreX Off Road triathlon series for 2015/16. The race consisted of a 350m dam swim, a 10km mountain bike (2 x 5km laps) and a 4km trail run completed twice! I finished second in the open females (OK so there was only 2 of us in the open division) but I was pleased with my run times which were the fastest for the females. I need to work on my mountain bike skills, however. Check out the photos on my facebook page.
Back to the cake. After consuming carbs for breakfast before the race I reverted back to my usual low carbohydrate diet and came up with this cake. I topped it with a Vanilla cream made with Greek yoghurt, stevia and vanilla extract. The protein assisted with recovery while the fats provided by the coconut helped me get back into fat utilization mode.
½ cup coconut flour
½ desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon stevia
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup frozen raspberries
1 cup coconut milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon stevia
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Measuring cups and spoons
Large mixing bowl
20cm x 20cm baking tray
Small mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 170°C (we have recently moved and I am still figuring out how to bake with the new oven).
- Combine the coconut flour, coconut, stevia, cinnamon and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the frozen raspberries and mix them through the dry ingredients.
- Add in the coconut milk, vanilla extract and egg whites and mix together the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a 20cm x 20cm baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 35 minutes or until the cake is firm and starts to turn golden brown.
- For the Vanilla cream combine all the ingredients into a small mixing bowl and mix well. Pour over the Coconut, raspberry and cinnamon cake.