I am enjoying protein pancakes at the moment (when I have the time to make them). They make a nice alternative for a low carb, grain-free protein rich breakfast and the effort and time involved is not too overwhelming. I will be honest, these protein pancakes are not as light and fluffy as traditional pancakes due to the lack of sugar and wheat flour, however, they are better for your health, especially if you like to eat a big serving like myself and eat these pancakes at least once a week! The secret to good protein pancakes is to blend the mixture and cook them over a low heat.
I normally stick to practical, affordable whole food recipes on this blog and I am aware that whey protein powder is not exactly affordable or a whole food. However, with my training schedule, busy work life, not being a huge meat eater and my low carb diet (which helps me to maintain a healthy weight range), I use a good quality whey protein powder to meet my protein needs. Protein is an essential component of the human diet and I am willing to spend that bit extra ($150 for 3kg which lasts the boyfriend and I about 3 months).
Makes 2 serves (8 – 10 pancakes depending on how big you make them)
2 scoops of a good quality chocolate flavoured whey protein powder
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup reduced fat coconut milk
Juice from 1 orange
1 teaspoon stevia
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 egg white
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon baking powder
Vanilla coconut cream
½ cup reduced fat coconut cream
½ cup cottage cheese
1 heaped tablespoon of a good quality vanilla whey protein powder
Extra strawberries, orange, shredded coconut and walnuts to serve
Measuring cups and spoons
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over low heat.
- Add all the ingredients for the pancakes into a high-speed blender. Blend until the mixture is a smooth, even consistency.
- Pour approximately ¼ cup of the pancake mixture into the fry pan for each pancake (I cooked two pancakes at a time). After about 2 minutes or once the pancakes are bubbling on top and are firm, carefully flip the pancakes with a spatula and cook for a further 2 minutes. Repeat until all the pancake mixture is used up.
- To make the Vanilla coconut cream, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To serve the pancakes, divide the pancakes into two stacks, top with the Vanilla coconut cream, sliced strawberries, orange, shredded coconut and walnuts.