Remember Neapolitan ice cream from when you were a child? It was the best, right, with the chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream? I seem to recall that I predominantly ate the chocolate section, which makes me wonder why my parents just didn’t get me chocolate ice cream? Anyway, now that I am an adult and I am much more aware of my health, I have recreated this childhood classic in the form of a tasty and, what I consider to be, quite healthy frozen slice made with no refined carbohydrates.
The chocolate layer is made with dates, coconut and cocoa powder, which provides fibre, vitamins and minerals and medium chain triglycerides. The coconut layer is made with coconut milk, low fat Greek yoghurt and shredded coconut and is sweetened with stevia. Finally the strawberry ricotta layer is made with fresh strawberries, ricotta cheese and low fat Greek yoghurt, which provides some protein without too many calories.
There is not a lot of need for creativity in my life being a research scientist who races and trains for multisport events in her spare time. Plus I am not a creative or a neat person naturally, so making food look attractive is a challenge for me! But I will say that this slice is probably one of my more aesthetically appealing desserts so far with the 3 layers and the sliced strawberries on top. I have also been spending way too much time on Instagram looking at food art and have been inspired to attempt to create my own. When describing the taste and textures of this slice I would say that the layers are quite contrasting, with the rich, slightly chewy chocolate layer, the creamy coconut layer and the slightly tangy strawberry layer. Let the slice thaw slightly before serving. This will make it easier to slice and make it easier to eat this healthy dessert with a spoon.
Frozen Neapolitan slice
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup of pitted dates
¼ cup of hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon stevia
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup low fat Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon stevia
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup shredded coconut
Strawberry ricotta layer
6 large strawberries, washed and tops removed
200 grams low fat ricotta cheese
¼ cup of low fat Greek yoghurt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ tablespoon stevia
Measuring cups and spoons
20cm x 20cm baking tray
- For the chocolate layer, start by adding ½ cup of the desiccated coconut to the food processor and process until the coconut is almost turned into coconut butter.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and process until the mixture starts to form a large, sticky ball. Spoon the chocolate layer into a 20cm x 20cm baking tray lined with baking paper. Press the chocolate layer down firmly with wet hands. Place into the freezer while you make the coconut layer.
- For the coconut layer, add all the ingredients except the shredded coconut to a high-speed blender. I chose to use the blender rather than the food processor for the next two layers because my blender is easier for pouring out the mixture and easier to wash up than the food processor. However, if you do not want to wash up the food processor and the blender, then just use your food processor.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth and an even consistency is achieved. Add in the shredded coconut and blend briefly to mix it through. Pour the coconut layer over the chocolate layer and put the slice back into the freezer for at least one hour or until the coconut layer feels firm.
- For the strawberry layer, add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until the mixture is smooth and the strawberries are just about completely pulverized. Pour the strawberry layer over the coconut layer. Place some sliced strawberries on top.