As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been making pestos with herbs other than basil. The latest pesto I made was a Dill pesto. I liked the flavour and I think it would have worked well on chicken or fish, however, I used it in this Zucchini, dill and feta slice. Apart from the cooking time, this slice was pretty easy to prepare and made a nutritious, low carb and tasty meal. Serve it with a salad for dinner and then take some for lunch the next day cold.
Zucchini, dill and feta slice
Makes 8 serves
2 large zucchinis, grated
200 grams ricotta cheese
100 grams feta cheese, cut into small cubes
½ cup dill pesto (recipe below)
½ cup coconut flour
Non-stick fry pan
Large mixing bowl
Large baking dish
- Cook the grated zucchini in the non-stick fry pan until the majority of the moisture content is removed.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat with a fork.
- Add in the ricotta cheese and feta cheese and mix well.
- Add the dill pesto, coconut flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Add the cooked grated zucchini and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven at 170°C for 45 minutes. This slice can be served hot or cold. Allow the slice to sit for at least 10 minutes before slicing if serving hot.
Makes about ¾ cup
1 cup of fresh dill packed tightly, stems removed
¼ cup fresh parsley
½ cup pine nuts
Juice from ½ a lemon, strained
Drizzle of olive oil (about 1 tablespoon)
2 clove of garlic, roasted
- Roast the garlic cloves in the oven wrapped in aluminium foil for about 20 minutes at 160°C.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until a smooth, thick paste forms, scraping down the sides of the food processor as necessary.