The Lemon and dill recipe makes two small serves. The active boyfriend had steamed sweet potatoes with his. You could add some roasted chickpeas to the salad if you would like to make this meal more filling. The Creamy lemon and mustard dressing worked well the dill.
The Coconut butter chicken was born out of half-open tins of reduced fat coconut cream, lentils and tomato paste found in my fridge. I thoroughly enjoyed the chicken with the Coconut cauliflower ‘rice’. The recipe described below makes four serves when served over cauliflower rice, meaning that if there are only two of you, you won’t have to cook the next night!
Lemon and dill chicken and salad with Creamy lemon and mustard dressing
1 chicken stock cube
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 chicken breast, cubed
Juice from half a lemon
Rind from half a lemon, finely grated
3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
Creamy lemon and mustard dressing
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon reduced fat coconut cream
1 tablespoon mustard
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
- Crumble the stock cube into a non-stick saucepan along with enough water to create a thin layer on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes transparent. Add the chicken, lemon juice, lemon rind, dill, salt and pepper (as much or as little as you like) and continue cooking until the chicken is completely cooked through. Add small amounts of water during cooking to prevent sticking.
- Serve the Lemon and dill chicken with a salad drizzled with Creamy mustard dressing.
- For the Creamy mustard dressing, combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
Coconut butter chicken with lentils and Coconut cauliflower ‘rice’
Makes 4 serves with rice
2 tablespoons coconut butter
1 vegetable stock cube
1 clove garlic, minced
2cm fresh ginger, finely grated
1 onion, diced
1 chicken breast, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of cloves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tomato, diced
6 blocks frozen spinach
2 carrots, cut into rounds
½ red capsicum
½ cup brown lentils, drained and rinsed
½ cup reduced fat coconut cream
Coconut cauliflower ‘rice’ for one
¼ head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 tablespoon coconut milk
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- Add the coconut butter to a non-stick saucepan along with the crumbled vegetable stock cube, garlic, ginger and onion. Fry the onion until it begins to become transparent adding water to the saucepan as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add the chicken, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, cloves and salt and stir frequently while cooking the chicken.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked through, add the tomato paste and vegetables plus about a cup of water. Turn down the heat to medium and continue cooking.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the coconut cream and lentils and turn down the heat to low. Gently simmer for about 15 minutes.
- To make the cauliflower coconut ‘rice’, add the cauliflower florets, coconut cream, desiccated coconut and salt to a food processor. Process until the cauliflower resembles the texture of rice.
- Tip the cauliflower into a non-stick pan and fry the cauliflower until it begins to turn golden brown.
Serve the Coconut butter chicken over the Coconut cauliflower ‘rice’.