I borrowed a cookbook recently from my wonderful Mexican friend. The cookbook was called Mexico: The Cookbook by Margarita Carrillo Arronte. I typically do not buy cookbooks but I must say that this book was really beautiful with amazing photos and hundreds of authentic Mexican recipes from across the entire country. This book gave me an insight into the flavours used in traditional Mexican cooking. Plenty of fresh coriander (cilantro), garlic, onion, tomatoes, dried oregano, tomatillos, apple cider vinegar and so many chillies!
While many of the recipes sounded absolutely delicious, a lot of them required quite a lot of ingredients, preparation and time. So I took some inspiration from this cookbook and made this Easy Mexican style chicken served with Coriander and lime yoghurt, fresh salsa and pea guacamole. With protein, fibre and heaps of vegetables, this made a healthy and tasty weeknight dinner. I served mine with cauliflower ‘rice’ processed with fresh coriander, lime juice, salt and chilli flakes and some carrot ribbons. The boyfriend had steamed white rice with his for extra carbohydrates.
Easy Mexican style chicken
Makes 2 serves
½ red onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 vegetable stock cube
1 chicken breast, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon cumin
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Sprinkle of all spice
1 400 gram kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 400 gram tin diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped finely
- Crumble the vegetable stock cube into a non-stick saucepan with ¼ cup water.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the chicken, spices and an additional ½ cup water and continue cooking.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the tomatoes, kidney beans and fresh coriander.
- Turn down the heat and lightly simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring periodically.
1 cup low fat Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
½ tin diced tomatoes
1 tomato, diced
½ red onion, diced
½ tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.