Who doesn’t like dessert? I know I certainly do, however, we all know that most desserts are full of sugar and are often combined with a lot of fat, which is not conducive to maintaining a healthy weight range, or for your health in general. To overcome this problem, I created this low sugar, lower fat version of ‘ice cream’.
The base of frozen coconut milk or reduced fat coconut cream combined with Greek yoghurt is very versatile. I previously posted a recipe for a Coconut and lime ‘ice cream’. I typically sweeten this dessert with stevia, a natural, sweet-tasting, calorie free substance extracted from the leaves of the plant Stevia rebaudiana.
A brief search of the scientific literature reveals that stevia has been reported to have beneficial effects on blood glucose and insulin levels in human studies, especially when compared to sucrose (1 – 3). So along with the coconut milk, blueberries and cocoa, this dessert is delicious and quite healthy too. And costs only $2.80 for two serves*.
Dark chocolate and blueberry ‘ice cream’
Makes 2 serves
250 mls coconut milk or reduced fat coconut cream
1 cup low fat Greek yoghurt
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
15 drops stevia liquid concentrate (I like Nirvana Organics)
¼ cup blueberries
Extra blueberries, almonds and desiccated coconut to serve
- Fill small containers or ice cube trays with the coconut cream/milk and the yoghurt. Freeze for at least 8 hours.
- Run some hot water over the bottom of the containers to assist with removing the frozen coconut cream/milk and yoghurt. Remove the frozen coconut cream/milk and yoghurt from the containers onto a chopping board and chop roughly with a sharp knife.
- Add the chopped frozen chunks of coconut cream/milk and yoghurt to a food processor and begin processing.
- Add a small amount of coconut cream/milk to assist with processing as well as the cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract and liquid stevia.
- Continue processing until a smooth, even consistency is achieved.
- Add the blueberries and process briefly until the berries are roughly chopped.
- Divide the ‘ice cream’ into two bowls. Serve immediately or freeze for 30 mins – 1 hour for a firmer texture. Sprinkle with blueberries, almonds and desiccated coconut to serve.
*Total cost is an approximation based on groceries purchased from Aldi
1. Curi R, Alvarez M, Bazotte RB, Botion LM, Godoy JL, Bracht A. (1986). Effect of Stevia rebaudiana on glucose tolerance in normal adult humans. Braz J Med Biol Res. 19:771-4.
2. Gregersen S, Jeppesen PB, Holst JJ, Hermansen K. (2004). Antihyperglycemic effects of stevioside in type 2 diabetic subjects. Metabolism. 53:73-6.
3. Anton SD1, Martin CK, Han H, Coulon S, Cefalu WT, Geiselman P, Williamson DA. (2010). Effects of stevia, aspartame, and sucrose on food intake, satiety, and postprandial glucose and insulin levels. Appetite. 55:37-43.