As you can probably tell, I love cauliflower. I am also really enjoying sesame oil and sesame seeds at the moment. These patties are a fusion of these ingredients. The peas give the patties a firmer texture and the great colour. I added the silverbeet (chard) for extra nutrients.
These patties go well with a spicy bibimbap sauce, or a tahini and yoghurt sauce. They make a nice little entrée or can be served with a big salad for a really healthy dinner or lunch.
Green sesame patties
Makes 6 patties
¼ head cauliflower
1 cup frozen peas
2 silverbeet leaves
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon dried chilli
- Break up the cauliflower into florets and steam the cauliflower until soft (I did this in the microwave for about 5 minutes).
- Thaw the frozen peas.
- Add the steamed cauliflower and peas to a food processor and process until the vegetables are well mashed and combined.
- Add the silverbeet leaves and process briefly to chop the leaves.
- Pour the processed mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, sesame seeds, ginger, chilli and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Using a dessert spoon, scoop out 6 patties onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the patties for 30 minutes in the oven at 180°C. Flip the patties and bake for an additional 15 minutes.