This meal was very quick and easy and incredibly affordable once you have purchased all the spices. This made enough for 2 serves with some remaining chickpeas for lunch the following day.
Creamy Moroccan chickpea salad with Spicy orange dressing
Creamy Moroccan chickpeas
1 400 gram tin of chickpeas
½ brown onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
½ tablespoon turmeric
½ tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup plain low fat Greek yoghurt
Spicy orange dressing
1/8 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon cumin
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plain low fat Greek yoghurt
Salad to serve
- Crumble the vegetable stock cube into a non-stick pan along with 1/4 cup of water.
- Add the onion, garlic and spices and cook until the onion is transparent, adding more water as required to prevent sticking.
- Turn the heat down and add the chickpeas. Add some addtional water and allow the mixture to simmer until the majority of the water has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding and mixing in the Greek yoghurt (remember to allow it cool otherwise the yoghurt will curdle).
- For the Spicy orange dressing, combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix well. You may have some difficulties getting all the spices to mix in, but don’t worry – it will still taste good.
- Serve the chickpeas with a salad of lettuce, tomato, carrot and red capsicum drizzled with the dressing.
Total cost = $5.20 based on all groceries purchased at Aldi.
So you are fully aware, the way I am calculating the cost of my recipes is by dividing the total cost of each item by the amount used in the recipe.